Music at Powells
Music lies at the heart of day to day life here at Powell’s School. With dedicated lessons that follow the national curriculum, a range of extra-curricular musical opportunities and regular collective worship, Powell’s facilitates the opportunity for all children to engage and inspire their musical curiosity, allowing them to discover more about the richness of music, both historic and contemporary, and across wise variety of musical cultures.
At Powell’s, we are incredibly lucky to have a dedicated Music and Drama Hall with an excellent range of classroom instruments and keyboards. We believe that music is for every child and we work hard to continue developing new musical avenues and opportunities to ensure that all our children can access and enjoy this life-enhancing area of the arts.
Each week, children participate in whole school singing assemblies where they develop a range of voice and performance skills. Singing from an established repertoire, children will explore a broad and diverse range of songs and compositions that complement their wider creative curriculum.
Each class has a weekly dedicated music lesson, throughout the year, in which they explore the following areas:
- An introduction to the interrelated dimensions of music.
- Sing songs, chants and rhymes.
- Play tuned and untuned classroom instruments.
- Listen to and appraise a wide range of music from different genres, cultures and periods.
- Start to explore a named composer.
- Combine sounds to create music.
- Explore pulse, rhythm and pitch.
- A deeper understanding of interrelated dimensions of music.
- Sing, play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts.
- Improvise and compose music for a range of purposes, including the use of music technology.
- Appreciate and understand a wide variety of historical periods, styles, traditions through listening, singing, playing, evaluating, analysing and composing.
- A deeper exploration into named composers.
- Continue to develop playing skills on both tuned and untuned classroom instruments.
- Use and understand staff notation.
- Develop an aural memory for rhythm and pitch.
- All children learn the ukulele as part of the Wider Curriculum initiative.
At Powell’s, we offer a wealth of opportunities for all our children to perform in school concerts, class assemblies, productions and services, with some of these taking place in the local Parish Church of St John Baptist.
From year 4 to 6, all children are invited to sing as part of the school choir, which is led by a music specialist. Children are taught to sing and explore a range of genres. The choir regularly perform, even going to local care homes at Christmas to bring a little Christmas spirit.
We are fortune enough to have a range of specialist teachers come into school and teach our children a range of instruments.
- - Flute
- - Trumpet
- - Drums
- - Violin
- - Guitar
- - Clarinet
- - Cello
Please see our Extra Curricular Music page for further information concerning the many musical opportunities at Powell’s.